Thursday, May 14, 2020

Daytrip - May 14, 2020 - India Point Park + Wickenden Street

Last year, I decided to go rogue and NOT find traditional employment (aka a desk job) and instead, pursue a longtime dream of being my own boss.  Going at it alone is a scary endeavor in a number of ways including having freak out thoughts about 'what about paying taxes?' and 'you have to pay for your own health insurance!'.  Yes, these two things alone are enough to freak out anyone wishing to be self-employed but then again, a day like today kind of makes it all worth it.

As a self-employed person, I can take the morning off.  Whenever I want to.  I don't need to put in a leave request with anyone.  Ever.  So today, knowing that we were expecting spectacular weather in Providence, Rhode Island, I made a plan: daytripping to India Point Park!

I've lived in the Ocean State for almost two years now.  I so love it here.  I have so much to discover which is one of my favorite past times as I am an explorer at heart.

India Point Park is over on the east side of Providence, not to be confused with East Providence:

"India Point Park is a park in the Fox Point neighborhood of Providence, Rhode Island at the confluence of the Seekonk River and Providence River. The park takes its name from the maritime activity connecting Providence with the East and West Indies. The East Bay Bike Path begins at the eastern end of the park, and crosses over the Washington Bridge before heading to Watchemoket Square in East Providence and continuing on to Bristol and the Mount Hope Bridge. The park is also a part of the Washington–Rochambeau Revolutionary Route."


I parked at Wickenden & East Streets to access the pedestrian bridge to get to the park.  There were a few people there and it does include a playground for the eventual day children can gather to play.  For cyclist enthusiasts, there is the East Bay Bike Path access point:

"The East Bay Bike Path is a 14.5-mile paved rail trail in Rhode Island. The path begins at Providence and India Point Park, crosses the Seekonk River via the George Redman Linear Park and Washington Bridge and continues southeast to Bristol along the shoreline of Narragansett Bay. The path passes through the city of East Providence, the hamlet of Riverside, and the towns of Barrington and Warren. It is part of the East Coast Greenway, a 3,000-mile system of trails connecting the Canada–US border in Maine to Key West and provides access to Haines State Park, Brickyard Pond (Barrington), and Colt State Park. It is used annually by 1.1 million people."

This was a super exciting discovery - not because I ride a bike but because I've spotted this path while visiting Bristol and now may be motivated to get on a bike to make the ride!
Well, back to the park....I took my good ole time walking around and was delighted by some of the scenic opportunities including the view of an osprey hunting for lunch in the Green Jacket Shoal (which is a shoal and ship graveyard!).  It was a spectacular situation.  I mean, I am in the city and here is a bird prey dive bombing several times to get a fish.  On the third try, it had success and I cheered.


 
And, get this: I walked onto a wharf of sorts and had to do a triple take because there were hundreds of fish swimming by! This is not the best video, but can you see them?


As I headed back to my car, I decided to seek out a nice cappuccino.  I popped into Coffee Exchange but they were not serving espresso.  The nice fellow shared that The Shop, where I was conveniently parked across the street from, was offering it.  But I did pick up some roaster beans since he was so generous in sharing that with me and supporting his fellow business neighbors.  
 

I sure do love my PVD. Our lives have been disrupted by this virus that will not be named but I feel lucky to have access to explore the Ocean State and beyond over the summer months.  Until next time, if we happen to cross paths, What Cheer Netop!





Resources
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_Point_Park
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Bay_Bike_Path
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Jacket_Shoal

No comments:

Post a Comment