Saturday, September 5, 2020

Daytrip - 9/5/2020 - Fruit Loop, Ocean State Style

One of my favorite things to do is visit farms and pick the fruit or cut the flowers that I then get to take home to enjoy.  When I lived in Oregon, I would drive a few miles north of Portland to visit Sauvie Island.  The island is host to practically year-round activities ranging from pumpkin picking to u-pick raspberries and flowers to swimming on the nude beach.  Okay, there is also a bathing suite required beach, too.

Oregon offers a lot of agriculture.  I *think* it might be the largest producer of grass seed and filberts (aka hazelnuts). Currently, 99% of the U.S. hazelnut crop is produced in the Willamette Valley of Oregon.  You can also take a really gorgeous drive in the Columbia River Gorge area known as the Fruit Loop:

The Fruit Loop is just an hour away from Oregon's largest city, Portland. Located in the national scenic area called the Columbia River Gorge, and the nation's largest pear-growing region, this is one of the few places that offers the complete experience of growing, producing, and then enjoying fruit and wine.

Well, I don't live in Oregon any longer, so I decided to see what I could find right here in Little Rhody.  Today, I took a drive up north to see what orchards are offering this time of year and I came across four of them (apparently, there are a whole mess of them according to the RI Orchards Directory!).

🍑  Steere Orchard - 150 Austin Avenue - Greenville, RI 

Plenty of parking and offer all kinds of types of apples and peaches.  I picked up some honeycrisp apples and last-of-the-season peaches.  The gal was very generous to mix up a box of regular and white peaches for me but emphasized that she can't do that if it is busy.  Yes, I felt special. But when I asked to take a quick walk in the orchard, I was told by the owner that I couldn't (even though I just dropped about $30 bucks on fruit).  I didn't feel very special at that point. 

🍎  Appleland Orchard - 135 Smith Avenue, Greenville, RI 

Although their website is terribly out of date, this is a store just about five minutes away from the first place.  It offers a wider assortment of items to purchase including jam (I bought peach), cider (I picked up a half gallon), eggs, peaches, apples, plums, and all kinds of candy.  Their peaches were much prettier than the other locations.  

 

🌻  Elwood Orchard - 58 Snake Hill Road, North Scituate, RI

I stumbled upon this location on my way to my final destination and it was well worth the stop!  Jean and Al, a husband and wife team, own and operate this adorable family farm.  There are certified organic flowers you can cut, u-pick apples (most are certified organic as well) and a small store. I spoke to Al on my way back to my car and it was a friendly chat.  

 

🐶 Barden Family Orchard - 56 Elmdale Road, North Scituate

Now, if Elwood is a cute little place, Barden is quite the empire!  This farm was the largest one that I visited and even has a sweet, elderly collie who lives there. This location very much reminded me of one of my favorites back on Sauvie Island, Kruger's now called Topaz Farm. By the looks of the website, they have upped their game under the new ownership. Anyway, back to Barden Family Orchard.  You need to pay for admission to pick apples - it is part of the package price (admission + apples). Honestly, I didn't spot that until well after I walked around the orchard to capture some stunning photos. Whoopsie.  There is a big store with a mess of offerings, too. Oh, and I did meet the pooch!
  
 

I had a fantastic time exploring and my intention is to return to one of them to pick some of my own apples.  I am also going to return next season for raspberries and flowers. The apple picking season goes through October, folks, and pumpkins are going to be available in coming weeks. Maybe I will see you out there!





















No comments:

Post a Comment