Friday, May 8, 2020

Daytrip May, 8, 2020: Woonsocket, RI

At the time of this writing, we are in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic and although we are about to be allowed to 'go back in the water', life is going to be quite different from here on out.

I, like many others, followed the stay at home rule with outings reserved for 'essential errands' like food shopping.  Today, I decided to take a day trip in order to feel 'normal' again (whatever that means, right?).

My regular sidekick, Liam, is not with me since he lives 3,071 miles away from Rhode Island but I sure do wish that he was here to go exploring with me.

I started daytripping back in 2014 when I was laid off from my very first job.  It was a challenging and interesting time but I discovered that I could overcome the dread of job seeking for at least a few hours a month by driving to different cities within 3 hours distance from my then home town of Portland, Oregon.  As I recall, I started in the fall and drove out the Columbia Gorge to visit Hood River. It was a magical experience with the foliage colors and lack of tourists swarming about.  Since that initial trip, I think I've made at least twenty or so jaunts like it over the past few years.

Back to present day then.  Since being confined to my house, I have been wanting to see a river, up close.  One with a waterfall would score some bonus points in my book and I saw a recent post by Riverzedge Arts that inspired me to pick Woonsocket, RI as today's destination.

Side note about Riverzedge Arts:  The nonprofit uses innovative applied and work-based learning strategies to teach art, design, and critical thinking to the youth of northern Rhode Island, providing our participants as well as our community with a path to economic and cultural sustainability. I was recently appointed to the board and am very excited to back the nonprofit's good work with youth.


Some background about Woonsocket.....

Before the arrival of European settlers in northern Rhode Island during the 17th century, today's Woonsocket region was inhabited by three Native American tribes—the Nipmucs (Cowesett), Wampanoags, and Narragansetts. In 1661, Roger Williams purchased the area from the "Coweset and Nipmucks", and in a letter referred to modern day Woonsocket as "Niswosakit".

Woonsocket Falls Village was founded in the 1820s. Its fortunes expanded as the Industrial Revolution took root in nearby Pawtucket. With the Blackstone River providing ample water power, the region became a prime location for textile mills. In 1831 Edward Harris built his first textile mill in Woonsocket. By 1913, a survey by the American Association of Foreign Language Newspapers found the city had to have the 6th largest population of French or French-Canadian foreign nationals in the country. In the decades that followed this population grew, and by time the local textile industry shuttered during the Great Depression the demographic comprised 75 percent of the population. French-language newspapers were published and sold; radio programs, movies, even most public conversations were conducted in French. As recently as 1980, 70% of Woonsocket's population was of French-Canadian descent, though the New England French they had once spoken had gradually declined and vanished from the public dialogue. The Museum of Work & Culture provides a fantastic overview of this rich history. I am definitely going to check that out once this dang pandemic crisis is over.

Oh, if you are a fan of This Old House, host Norm Abram hales from this city.

The Woonsocket Depot was rebuilt by the Providence and Worcester Railroad in 1882 and hosts “The Polar Express,’’ a 90-minute train trip through the Blackstone Valley. It was inspired by Chris Van Allsburg’s Christmas classic (the author is a former Providence resident as a student at RISD and also wrote Jumanji). Side note: the film, Jumanji, has now come up twice in the past 12 hours as a friend told me I reminder her of Bonnie Hunt, who starred in that film.

So back to my visit!

  
I packed a lunch and it took me about 30 minutes to get to downtown Woonsocket from Providence (which is a big deal since no one likes to drive more than 15 minutes in this state).  I parked right in the thick of things - next to the Woonsocket Falls Dam and it delivered on my hope for some serious waterfall action.

Woonsocket Falls Dam
I decided to walk around the downtown area and was awestruck by a number of impressive architectural features including former banks, city hall, and these murals.

 

Two fun facts: President Abe Lincoln visited the city in 1860 and Richard Gere filmed his movie, Hachiko the dog, in the Blackstone River Valley.

  

If you are ever in the area in the fall, you may want to check out their annual Autumnfest.  The next one is scheduled for October 2020 according the website.  It is on my calendar.

Woonsocket, like many cities and towns in the Ocean State, is saturated with history. As a newcomer, I am excited to explore as much of it as I can.  New England has become my new home and I love learning about the people, places, and things that make it so special.

If you would like to see all the photos I took during today's adventure, click here.

RESOURCES
(1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woonsocket,_Rhode_Island
(2) https://www.boston.com/travel/travel/2017/12/08/woonsocket-embracing-its-history-is-worth-a-visit

No comments:

Post a Comment