Saturday, August 3, 2019

Books & Trees

A big shout out of thanks to Beatrice over at the Providence Public Library for coordinating a site visit for me to see the current renovation of the library. A little side note: the library system here is quite different from my experiences with the beloved Multnomah County Library that I spent years visiting.  Here, there is a blanket arrangement that you can borrow books from any of the public libraries in Rhode Island but they are all independent. My favorite locations are PPL in downtown Providence (the spot I toured) and the Knight Memorial Library, both of which are part of the Providence Community Library system. But back to PPL....the library is doing a major overhaul to the newer side of the facility and I got a peek at a portion of the work-in-progress yesterday.


 

I'm afraid I didn't take detailed notes of all the changes that will be made but by the sound of things, looks like I will be spending a lot of time there considering there will be a cafe on site (coffee in the morning and cocktails at night).  There is also a work-in-progress media studio which will eventually house some audio recording gear. Based on the description of all the public spaces, it is going to be stunning with state of the art gear and all kinds of natural lighting.  I can't wait!

Well, since I do have to wait until the spring of 2020 to enjoy the new space at PPL, I decided to scope out my first hike in Providence proper.  Someone told me about Neutaconkanut Park that is located in outer southwest part of the city.  I had a little trouble finding a trail head but I approached someone in on of the bordering neighborhoods and he gave me some guidance.  My visit was short and sweet due to several reasons but I do hope to return because it is rumored to offer one heck of a view of downtown.  

Thanks to Linder for serving as my huckleberry.  Hiking alone as a woman can be a bit sketchy.  Note to self for next time:  pick up some pepper spray and bug repellent. 



Happy Daytripping!

No comments:

Post a Comment