Thursday, August 22, 2019

A little bit of history, good coffee, and a telescope.

Earlier this week, I tagged along a friend's tour of the Rhode Island State Capitol in Providence. I have been in the building once before but didn't have any idea of how much art and history sit inside of its walls.  What a treat!

My friend, Freeman T. Freeman, is one of the tour guides at the State House and he provided an exceptional tour.  I only capture some of the fascinating facts he shared with me and if you are ever in PVD, be sure to check out the tour yourself.

Here are some of the things I learned:
  • The Rhode Island State Capitol building has the fourth largest non-centrally supported dome structure in the world.  Can you name the first three?

  • Rhode Island was the first state given permission by the King the absolute freedom of religion.
  • Rhode Island was the last state to sign the US Constitution waiting for the Bill of Rights to be included.
  • Rhode Island Governor Sprague abolished the death penalty in the state in response to a final straw of injustice: the hanging of an innocent man.  There was a claim of a crime and the authorities rounded up the three strangers who were in the vicinity.  One of them couldn't provide an alibi and was sentence to death by hanging.  Shortly after, the actual criminal confessed to the crime.
 
  • The portrait of George Washington in the Governor's Salon has been appraised at $10 million (*) and although his foot is positioned in an angle, no matter which side of the room you stand, the foot is point right at you.

Later that night, I checked out Robin Kall's series, The Cardigan Connection. It is a monthly reading series held at Askew that features    This month, Zach Powers (FIRST COSMIT VELOCITY), Daniela Petrova (HER DAUGHTER’S MOTHER), Kate McQuade (TELL ME WHO WE WERE), Barbara Bourland (FAKE LIKE ME) shared bits of their books with the crowd. Your first night attending is FREE. Sign up for her e-newsletter to stay in the know of upcoming events. She also has a podcast called Reading with Robin that features interviews with all kinds of authors.

And that was just Tuesday. On Wednesday, I finally visited the famed White Electric Coffee for a decaf cappuccino.  The shop is about six blocks from my house but I have never checked it out. Since I was on my way to a top secret training session (*), I found my Doris Day parking spot and popped in to pick up a cup of fancy joe.  By the way, the gal sitting under the big 'E' gave me permission you post that photo.

Today, as I was driving home, I spy with my little eye....an observatory!!!!  I have held a long time love of the celestial beauty above our little heads.  I quickly pulled over to go check it out/to see if Ladd Observatory was open to the public.  Alas, it is only on Tuesday nights (when weather permits) but Mike (the facilities guy) gave me a quick tour and I can't wait to go back to use that grand telescope to look at Saturn. He also shared that there is a nearby star gazing group called Skycrapers Inc. in North Scituate (***).  With a mission as a 'group of people who are interested in the wonders of the sky', I am sold.
Tomorrow, I am meeting a local lifestyle blogger with hopes to convince her to contribute to my Artclectic New England podcast. Speaking of podcasts, next month, I am a guest on the Grow Smart RI podcast to share my story about moving to Providence and my love of the arts. 

Dames Who Dine has offered lots of opportunities to check out all kinds of eateries around the area.  My pal, Rose, and I are doing the unthinkable on (according to Rhode Island legend): we are driving south for about 30 minutes to visit a restaurant in Bristol, RI.  Apparently, these Rhodies don't like to drive very far even though the state is so tiny.  Go figure.

I've got a couple of other great things coming up this weekend including a visitor from Oregon!

#IHeartExploring



(*) More on that later!
(**) Idea: sell that painting and pay for improvements in the school system.  Just a thought.


(***) Can you guess how that is pronounced?  Bet you can't.




No comments:

Post a Comment